I love a cheeseburger. Especially on game day. A little fun fact, I watched a recent health documentary that scared me a little, just enough to think about everything I eat. I’m not going to go vegan just yet but when the opportunity arose for me to try this recipe for black bean burgers, I jumped at the chance.
Aside from only being 360 calories each, they only took me 30 mins, start to finish.
- 1 15 oz. can of black beans, drained
- 2/3 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 large egg and 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a large bowl, mash the beans with a fork.
- Add the bread crumbs, garlic powder, black pepper and eggs to the beans and mix.
- Divide and shape into 4 black bean patties.
- In a large, oiled skillet, cooke patties over medium high for 4 minutes each side (or until browned).
- Place a slice of cheese on each burger and cook until the cheese melts.
- Top bottom halves of buns each with a burger, lettuce, and whatever other toppings you would like. I love the tailgate guacamole on these guys!
Hint: Toast the buns on this pan to give them that official tailgate toast.
Enjoy!! And happy almost tailgate season!