I love reading through cooking magazines for inspiration and recipes. Sometimes (since I’m a little picky) I amend the recipes to fit my preferences for game day! That’s the case with this recipe for BBQ Tri-tip stuffed Potatoes from Cooking Light. And that’s right, you did hear cooking light…as in less heavy and less cals. These yummy and SUPER easy potatoes are only 385 cals and will totally fill you up. Plus they’re made in a slow-cooker so these are a must for any busy game day, like say the Super Bowl 😉
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds tri-tip or pot roast or a similar cut
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion (I use yellow)
- Cooking spray
- 6 (4-oz.) russet potatoes or slice larger potatoes in half
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions for garnish
- Combine brown sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl; rub generously over meat.
- Place onion slices in bottom of a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker coated with cooking spray; top with roast.
- Rub potatoes with oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Wrap each potato in parchment paper; arrange on top of roast. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours or until tender. I actually let this go a little longer so it was more tender.
- Unwrap potatoes; split lengthwise, cutting to but not through the other side or if you have larger potatoes cut them in half .
- Shred roast with 2 forks, and stir to combine with onion mixture.
- Top each potato with beef mixture, cheese, sour cream, green onions, and teaspoon pepper.