So Selection Sunday is this week?! I still have my Christmas decorations up. I’m kidding but how are we already here?! I’ve been racking my brain and surfing the Internet for the perfect March Madness goodies and this one may be a stretch but it’s a twist on an all time favorite. These fried mozzarella balls are like mozzarella sticks but, you know, round. Like basketballs!
Full disclosure, I eat fried food, I just have never done the frying. I was a little intimidated by the “frying” part of this recipe. Let’s be honest, the “frying” is the entire recipe. I was shocked at how easy it was and how quick! If I can make these fried Mozzarella Balls you can too.
Fried Mozzarella Balls
Fried Mozzarella Ball Ingredients:
- 1 cup neutral, for frying
- Two (16-oz) containers bocconcini
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups bread crumbs
- salt for seasoning
- Marinara sauce
Before I dive into the complexities of this recipe, let me tell you about my mistake. I’m all about keeping it real and I messed up. I bought the bocconcini and I didn’t check the size. SO when you go to purchase them (FYI they’re little mozzarella balls) check the sizes. My advice is to get the smallest ones they offer. Then the fried mozzarella balls more bite-sized than several-bite-sized. The ones I used were too big, but we had a studio with amazing lighting ready to go and I simply didn’t have time to go get new little balls and re-do the recipe. So I kept the big guys. They were still obviously delicious, I just think for a March Madness party they’d be better smaller.
Whew, I feel so much better with that confession off my chest ;). Onto the directions.
Fried Mozzarella Ball Directions:
- Line a large plate with several layers of paper towels.
- In a small pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Be careful not to boil the oil.
- Drain the mozzarella balls and dry them well with paper towels.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl, the egg in a second medium bowl and the bread crumbs in a third medium bowl.
- Working in batches, dredge the cheese balls in flour to coat, then in egg, then in bread crumbs. Repeat until all the cheese is breaded.
- Fry the mozzarella in the preheated oil until golden brown on the outside, then remove from the oil and transfer to the prepared paper-towel-lined plate.
- Season immediately with salt.
- Serve immediately with a side of warm marinara sauce.
If you love these little basketball picks and the table cloth you can snag them by clicking the link below.
If you’re new to March Madness, check out my guide for beginners plus I’ll be sharing my tips for filling out your bracket soon! Have a great rest of the week.